Search Lobsterland

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas Eve






Christmas Eve at my Mo's house, fried chicken for dinner. Say what you want for Stroud's, Hayes House, etc., I'll take Mom's fried chicken any day.


I got a trainer, a device for making my bicycle into a stationary bike so I can get a workout in even if it's a blizzard out, which of course it was. I set it up after we did the Santa thing back at my house (my year for Christmas Eve, next year it'll be my turn to have Christmas morning & day with the honyocks).



The roads were more than a little dicey. As I was getting home from the office, after binding the calendars I once again procrastinated on, right as I got to the first Gardner exit traffic suddenly slowed. As I moved over to the left land to go around some cars that appeared to be trying to stop, I saw why they were trying to stop: a big fat F-150 turning sideways in the right lane of the highway. Once the traffic that got past this slowed down to 40-ish mph, traction was good enough, so I went ahead with the plan to go to Mom's.



We were about halfway to Mom's when I realized I had been nuts to head out at all, but it would have taken just as long and been just as risky to backtrack, so...







Fortunately, besides the fact I managed to pilot my way to Mom's unscathed, after the snow started falling, traction on the roads improved quite a bit and the trip home wasn't fast but it also wasn't terrifying.







The trainer, I've already used it twice. My goal was a half hour a day minimum, because I think I can do that much boredom and that'd keep a level of activity & fitness so I'm prepared when the roads are ride-able again. Both days, though, I put in movies and got absorbed in the movie, cranked for an hour before getting interrupted. Once interrupted, it was hard to get back into the flow, but I guess if I can find enough engrossing movies, maybe I can really put some quality time in on the trainer this winter, maybe even lose some weight.

No comments: