Search Lobsterland

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Recumbency



I've always had a soft spot for recumbent bikes. But since the feeling still hasn't returned 100% to my pinky and ring fingers (which sucks for practicing guitar and typing, two important things) from Friday's 40 mile run, I've pretty much decided that, long term, it's the only way to go.

I'll keep riding the upright until I figure out how the hell I'm going to pay for a recumbent bike, and for that matter figure out for sure which sort of recumbent bike is the best fit for me. But the diamond-frame upright bike is a pure torture device between what it does to your butt, your lower back, and it turns out your hands when you ride any distance.



The long wheelbase one I tried out at Bike America today is tricky to start on and balance. The handlebars feel a little tight to the inside, too. Not sure how much is learning curve, it's a different configuration than what I"m used to obviously. I think I could get used to it.

The tight turns you have on trails, though, I wonder about a short wheelbase bike. I haven't found one to test ride yet, so that's still an unknown.

What I almost didn't try, though, was the Terra Trike. It just didn't look like something I'd enjoy. And it's so low to the ground and wide.

But when I did try it, even adjusted badly (I need the seat moved back about a foot from where it was), the thing was flat out fun. Fast, turns on a dime, and with disc brakes that stop you instantly. In fact, when I rode my brother's mountain bike, he warned me to be cautious with the brakes, and I can see his point. I grabbed a good handful of brake in the parking lot on the trike and stopped so suddenly I realized it would be possible to throw yourself crotch-first into the crank on this puppy.



The low to the ground part definitely requires flags and would confine me to the trail almost exclusively (a trail I might take more than half of in places), but yeah, this thing rocks.

Only drawback the sales guy said, climbing long steep hills where your legs end up higher than your heart isn't so much fun. But hills like that aren't much fun on any bike, are they?

Another angle I'd have to figure is how to transport it, since I'm pretty sure it wouldn't fit in my trunk or back sweat.

No comments: