Search Lobsterland

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Another Tantalizing Option


I went and checked out this recumbent I found on Craig's List.

The guy built it himself with plans he got of the internet. It was his first, he's building his third, so I assume there are things he'd do differently on this one. But to my pleasant surprise, once we got the boom lengthened part way of how long I'd need it, it was easier to ride than the long wheelbase one I rode at Bike America today.

Now, that's not to say it was easy to ride. There would be a definite adjustment period, the center of gravity is much lower than on an upright. I've seen evidence (videos) that this is merely a learning curve, and I'm sure once you learn to ride a recumbent, you never forget.



You can feel the advantage of being able to push against your back right away, even as you're about to fall over because you haven't got the hang of the balance part.

I don't know where the guy learned to weld, so I guess there'd be a certain amount of faith I'd have to place that he's competent there. The paint job isn't baked enamel, but it doesn't look bad. And I don't know enough about bikes to have any brand snobbery, really. It's got Shamano shifters, and I've heard of those. I've heard of the bike makes he cannibalized for parts, but have no frame of reference for where they fall in the pantheon of bike manufacturers.



Not sure where I'd come up with the money for it, but he is asking somewhere between 1/2 and 1/3 what these things start at in Bikeshopworld.

No comments: