Search Lobsterland

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Happy Birthday, Mom

Had dinner with my Mom tonight, along with my brother and his wife and my honyocks, all in celebration of Mom's birthday.



Bob and Dee's in Gardner is about the best combination of quality food, service and a pleasant environment we have going. It's not a chain, it's a real local establishment. Building is new, but the people who run it ran Mom's Diner before, and they took all that old school comfort food with them to the new joint.

I think I was the only one who didn't get fried chicken, and not without some remorse. They're fried chicken is up there: if Stroud's is 100-point fried chicken, Bob and Dee's is probably a 96. And probably half the price, which goes a long ways toward making that 4% gap up.



I had the liver & onions, which was my favorite at Mom's back in the day. Mom's Diner in Gardner, not my mother's house. She made liver and onions once that I recall, and she and I both liked it at the time, but I think it was right when she dragged me, kicking and screaming, to a cholesterol screening. I was still in high school, and she wanted me to see how all the fast food was racking up my numbers. My cholesterol was high, if I recall, but below 200. Mom's was something like 320, and in my memory she ate nothing but salad and pasta with red sauce for a long time after that.



Anyway, the liver & onions at Bob and Dee's is pretty awesome. I don't know if it's worse for you, health-wise, than fried chicken.



Mo charmed the waitress, ended up hugging on her. Made up for last time I was at this very restaurant and had to get dinner boxed up because I couldn't get her to quit hollering.

The waitress picked up that Mo was different, but didn't proceed to ignore her the way most waitresses do. People don't know how to take the vocalizations and strange, non-sequiturs so they pretend she isn't there. I think Mo basically decided the waitress was alright because she engaged her and then brought her a big plate of fried chicken.

No comments: