Search Lobsterland

Monday, July 20, 2009

Happy and Sad...

I went to boot up my Mac at work this morning and nothing happened. Well, not quite nothing, but it's acting like a hard drive failure or something along those lines. Won't boot from the CD even.

So, using the backup drive, working from an old eMac was not the funnest way to spend the day. Especially since we've suddenly gotten busy (a good thing, that).

On the up side, though, my boss had been sitting on the fence about a new machine, coming to terms with the fact that six years is old even for a powerhouse Mac tower. I understand, I do. Spend that kind of money, you feel like, 'Hope I never have to do that again!' This and the way his also-antique laptop has been running lately, it looks like I'll soon have a new Mac Pro tower on my desk. Very nicely appointed, too.

Five or six years out of a computer seemed impossible back when I was on a PC. I used to replace those every year, year and a half tops. Been over a year and a half into my iMac, though, and it's still a rock'n machine. Might seem less so compared with the new machine at work, but there's always a faster computer on another guy's desk, right?

Meanwhile, any happy dance I might do about getting a new machine is tempered by the hassle with getting the old one through the Genius Bar while hobbling through my in box with an eMac ready for the Antiques Road Show. That, and the likelihood that this next computer will still be on my desk when Em goes to College, and it won't be flamin' fast anymore by then...

No comments: