Search Lobsterland

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Will Preflight for Food



Well, 'preflight' is a pretty narrow definition of what I do. I redraw logos, manipulate photos, set type, and so on. But while I'm one of those 'creative' people, in my work I've gravitated to the technical side. I can get the special effects, but to me that's useless if I can't get it flattened out and through the RIP looking right.



I started dusting off my portfolio last week. Literally. The thing had sat in my den for over ten years. I'm not what you'd call a job-skipper. If I can't see myself sticking around, I'll head for the door pretty fast. But if it's a good gig, I think you generally come out ahead by trying to do the most you can for your employer. How else can you expect the company to do the most it can for you? I know, it doesn't always work that way, even in a company where it usually does. But if you're constantly interviewing, well, mercenaries are expendable.



There's actually a job advertised that is one of those so good I scarcely dare apply for it. It sounds like a job I could do very well, but it's a company that's done some absolutely amazing stuff. It would be so cool, I won't even jinx myself by mentioning it by name.




Some other ads came on today, and I'm working on my cover letters for those. I always feel ridiculous writing cover letters. For someone who prides himself on being able to turn a phrase, there just doesn't seem to be a way to write one that doesn't feel ham-handed. Even when I would truly be overcome with sweat just to have an interview, everything feels obvious and/or forced.



I was a bit surprised going through my old book. It wasn't as humiliating as I would have expected. I mean, everything in it is going on eleven years old, and I've learned so much since then I really expected the whole thing to look like a souvenir from Kaleidoscope.



It didn't, but of course I replaced practically everything. For one thing, my previous job hadn't given me many opportunities to employ color. I tried to focus on samples that highlighted specific abilities. I used to think in terms of what looks great, but if I didn't do anything to contribute to the great-looking result that an intern couldn't have managed, why would it be in my portfolio?



I also tried on my suit, made sure it still fit. Gave me an excuse to wear my Grandpa's tie clip. It's what he got instead of a gold watch for his years on a county road crew.

2 comments:

Kenn Minter said...

That tie clip alone will land you a job... for sure.

-Percy

kimmyk said...

oh nice clip dude.

lookin all snazzy all doodled up.