Search Lobsterland

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Frazier Nash

I'm not really a car person. Or maybe I am and it's just that reality is repressing me.

But if I had money to blow on cars, no way would I be cruising around in a big SUV. There's the occasional new car that has some appeal, the Scion XB, the Mini Cooper, the FJ Cruiser, but mainly new cars suck. Hard.

Still, I had to take a picture of this car I saw on the way to a job interview.



Maybe new cars have always been horrible. Ignatius Reilly thought so back in the 60s, when so many classics were built:

“They would try to make me into a moron who liked television and new cars and frozen food. Don’t you understand? Psychiatry is worse than communism.”*


But if cars have always been lame as a group, the ones people preserve or duplicate with kit cars are the exceptions. The cars that rock. The ones that might not have been worth a year's salary and enslavement to usurious bankers, but at least gave you something for the misery they caused.

*That's a quote from one of my favorite novels,
A Confederacy of Dunces. If you haven't read it, get off the internet and get to turning pages.

No comments: