Search Lobsterland

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Snowchick & Slope Time





Without a neighbor's help, no way I could have gotten the middle section of this snowwoman up. Snowwoman is actually recognized by Word as a word, but you don't hear it. You also don't hear snowbabe, snowgal, snowchick, snowbroad...

Maybe it's good that snowbroad isn't a word.



Yes, it's a girl. Em is fed up with the cultural norm that says every stack of snowballs is a dude. Her name is Thora Louise, and she's a chef. Chef hats for snowfolk turn out to be one of the handier things to do with leftover yard signs from election season.



Thora Louise is a bit of an amazon, about my height not counting the hat.

The snow was so sticky, her branch fingers could hold a snowball.



But with a snow like this and a Sunday? We couldn't stop at that. Well, we could have, but I was reminded that these opportunities really shouldn't be let to go to waste.



So who's up for sledding?

Not Em. She insisted she was fed up with the cold, didn't enjoy sledding, and so on. So she stayed home while me and Mo hit the slope.



A bit of a mucky slope by the time we got to it, but plenty steep and plenty slick.

I can't believe Em wanted to miss out on this. There was a pretty good mogul at the bottom of the hill, one that looked innocent from above. I didn't mean to hit it on my first run, but I did. I didn't feel like I was going that fast, either, but it sure popped me up. I slammed down on an elbow. My chiropractor will be ecstatic about the general effects of the day.



Our boxes eventually fell apart, and I couldn't get Mo to quit eating muddy snow, so we had to pack it in. The boxes didn't run as good as trash can lids, and I wish I'd thought of those, because I've got several lids I never use.





Some of the folks even had proper sleds or tobagans. A parent noticed Mo eyeing their slick yellow jobby and gave her a shot on it. She went about twenty feet further after the hill flattened out on that. I don't know, though, she seemed to have a lot of fun with the boxes. Or even, a couple of runs, just sliding.





Mo also never really got the idea of going down to where the hill wasn't so steep to come back up. I swear I couldn't have come up some of the billy goat runs she made.



The bummer is, she got way tired way early tonight and I couldn't get her to take a shower before she crashed, and tomorrow is a school day. Hopefully most of the filth was on the clothes, which I've washed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It snowed in Phoenix over the weekend. But it wasn't real snow, and that was kind of depressing.