Search Lobsterland

Monday, November 26, 2012

Thanksgiving Part II

Like a lot of families, we never manage to get everyone together at once, and this year my Dad's house was Thanksgiving on Saturday—a pizza party to keep people from getting turkey fatigue.



It's fairly hectic since I have about a hundred nieces & nephews. Okay, I only have eight, but they're at least 13 times louder than mortal children.



After we ate, I got a Scrabble game going. Last year, Corinna just owned us all at Scrabble. But a year of heavy Words with Friends play had made me and my sister in law considerably better. It's a subtly different game, but the principles are the same, avoid setting up someone else for a triple-word and try to get your heavy tiles on multiplier spots. Make words that can't be built on easily when you don't want someone to come in and make four times the points off the little word you just spelled.



The one bummer was the dictionary. We used an American Heritage, what was on hand. I thought it was a fine dictionary when my wife's words were getting challenged and struck because they weren't in that dictionary. Then I got nailed by it like three times in a row, words I know Words with Friends takes, for instance, but the American Heritage doesn't have them.



It was fun playing, and I managed to win three of the four games even with a defective dictionary. And another fine puzzle got into the works, Wii got played, and lots of great food got eaten and some beer and wine might have Bermuda Triangulated into some of us as well.

No comments: