Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Drag Out the Dickens

As the Tom Lehrer song goes, brother here we go again.



The choral program at Em's school put this on, a Dickens Caroling Festival. Basically a catered dinner and then Christmas carols performed by the Madrigals, the top choir.



Those holiday standards sure do sound different when sung by a group who knows how to sing harmony and has rehearsed, compared to a small hoard of freezing children and three adults who might have snuck too much brandy into their eggnog.



My only disappointment was they didn't work O Holy Night into the set, easily my favorite Christmas song. Em says it's not really Dickens-ish and not really a carol, more of a concert piece. Whatever.



The only really tricky part was trying to get Em to stand still for an actual picture in her getup. I have much better pictures of her friends, they stop, pose and even smile when I just threaten to take a picture.



The desserts were quite cooperative and photogenic as well. Good to eat, too.

After, we gave my former mother in law a ride home and I got to catch up on some family gossip and whatnot, which was nice. The marriage didn't work out, but I don't have anything against those folks, and I was related to them for thirteen years.

No comments: