Search Lobsterland

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Judo Mo





We're going to try teaching Mo some Judo, so we took her to a practice to watch. She wore a gi and we had her bring a camera so she could take pictures, mainly to prep her for Sunday when she'll be on the mat herself.



I wasn't sure she was getting into it, but when they were taking turns throwing each other (one person would stand by a big poofy mat and everyone would take a turn being thrown, then they'd rotate so everyone got the experience from both sides with relatively low impact).



I asked Mo if that looked like fun and then next thing I know she was trying to walk out on the mat to get thrown herself.



We didn't do that, but after it was over, she and Corinna did some falling down together and Corinna had her try grabbing Corinna's gi and whatnot.



I really enjoyed trying to photograph the sport. It's really hard to do because things move so fast and most gyms are lit like caves. This one was better than average on the light levels, but I still had to crank the ISO to 800 to get anything that wasn't totally blurry.



And I got my best shots with my prime 35mm lens. I didn't think I was at one point, and went to the 18-105 and a little tighter aperture, but all of the shots that were worth taking turned out to come from that prime lens. It's the cheapest part of the whole kit I carry, so even if you're using a more entry level SLR than the D7000, get yourself a prime lens and prepare to be amazed. They're clear, simple, offer a tight depth of field, and best of all they're inexpensive as glass goes. I'm sure if you shoot Canon or whatever, they offer something similar.



No comments: