Search Lobsterland

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Playing With Fire

A neighbor's twelve year old son was our guest Friday evening. Call it 'babysitting' I guess.

After dinner, I wanted to do some long shots outside, and Corinna mistakenly assumed I meant to do some light painting with sparklers. I love doing this, but it wasn't my plan.



But the lad was so excited, I couldn't refuse. So after I got my tripod set up and figured out a direction to shoot in that wouldn't have much light in the background (for being in the city, anyway).

He was annoyingly excited, actually. He was impatient for them to be lit, but it was incredibly windy. Then, he didn't get, at first, that he was supposed to get in front of the camera, and once he was, that he was supposed to move the fire around. But after he saw the preview pane of the first picture, he caught on.



It was a real pain to light the sparklers, like I say, because of the wind, but I'd just gotten one lit when his Dad came to pick him up. As he was shouting at his Dad to see what an awesome thing he was up to, a sparkling piece of sparkler fell into a couple of very dry fall leaves and ignited them.

Looking around, I realized we badly need to rake our leaves. And that the grass was dormant and dry, there too.

And what an impression this must make: you return home to find the 'responsible adults' lighting sparklers and giving them to a wound-up kid to run through what amounts to a puddle of fuel on a windy night.

No comments: