Search Lobsterland

Sunday, August 19, 2012

BBQ Rings

I got some barbecue rings from Krizman's and a couple pork roasts from Distant Pig, ne Bichelmeyer Meats. Pork Loin and Boston Butt.





I have a 'rub tub' I keep these days with my mix of brown sugar, pepper, cayenne, cloves, garlic, onion, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and I don't know what all.



I would have bought more of the sausage from Krisman's, their 'barbecue ring.' Or better yet, their Polish sausage, I think I'd like that even better.


After scorching these things to shoe leather for my wedding, though, I needed to have some small scale success before I really loaded up on sausages for the smoker again. And I had that success this time. I checked the temperature with a meat thermometer about a hour before I though the sausage would be done and it was a solid 170ºF+, probably a bit past what was needed for safety but still super juicy.






The roast cuts took longer, of course. They hit 180ºF or so around midnight. I wouldn't have minded letting them smoke just a little longer for flavor and tenderness, but the danger was they'd dry out and I was too sleepy to stay up any longer, so I pulled them in.

No comments: