Search Lobsterland

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Levy Tag Safari


I've been on this levy before. Corinna had billed it as 'bike and hike,' and I didn't realize that meant carrying my fully loaded bike (I had my CPAP on the rack in addition to my usual TMS) over rocks and under bridges.


There is so much great tag art in this town. I remember one time, I was setting up a shot to light paint, Scribe's Billy Goat, aka 'ReSoundFields,' and Corinna commented that I couldn't shoot all the tags in town.


I think I said something like, 'Watch me.' And as luck has it, I got what may be my favorite photo of over 90,000 I've taken these past five years.


The levy didn't stress me out this time. It was daytime, plus I knew what I was in for.



In fact, it was my idea to go there. I wanted, in particular, to try to shoot Shakey, Mpulse and Femme by daylight. I should have made it a morning trip, these tags are on walls on the west side of the Kansas River, and late afternoon in October meant the sun was going down behind my subjects.


I didn't really get Shakey. If that's what that tag even says, I'm not sure. It's so big, I'm pretty sure it can be seen from space. How big? I guess it's bigger than Mpulse and Femme combined, since I could get those two in frame and couldn't get more than a third of Shakey at once.


Here's Corinna with part of the 'H' in this massive tag:


Of course there are tags on top of tags, and some tags are clever but they can't all be.







No comments: