Search Lobsterland

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Softly as in an Arizona Wildfire?

Around the time I took this, I saw a story about how the sunset shots in Kansas and Nebraska were being enhanced by the smoke in the atmosphere from the Arizona wildfire.



I think the sunrises were getting a boost, too. I noticed haze in the air downtown the evening before but didn't realize it was from a fire over a thousand miles away.



I don't know if this shot was related to Arizona or not, there was a few days between shots so maybe not. I just know as I passed Lake Olathe, riding back from taking my millstone to the shop, I had to stop and take a shot of this.

1 comment:

Liz @ Creative Liberty said...

We in Arizona are glad that our fires are good for something. We have so many particulates (dust, pollution, you name it)that most of our sunsets are pretty awesome.

I was up in northern AZ this weekend and we drove through the area hit by the 2002 fire (the biggest until a couple of weeks ago). The area is recovering, but it is odd to go from solid pine forest to broad swaths of grass with just little baby pine trees (maybe shoulder high at best - my shoulder, not yours) and LOTS of burnt out tree trunks. We stopped at a store with lots of carved wood stuff and one of the artists (an ex-Vietnam Vet, nice guy) said he'd been using wood salvaged from the 2002 forest fire for 9 years. Looks like he'll be able to do that for years to come.