Search Lobsterland

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Nick the Cross Country Cyclist

I got a text from Corinna one evening:

"Picked up a cross country cyclist at the Library. We're now at City Market getting a catfish."


I wasn't surprised, really.



But I don't think I've ever met a cyclist who didn't love beer, so I picked up a six of Boulevard Pale* on the off chance that our guest wouldn't have had the chance to sample our little, local, world-class brewery's product.



Our guest turned out to be a kid named Nick, who bought a bike, panniers, some camping gear and flew with it from Boston to L.A.; then, without having trained for it or even doing much riding, set off to ride back to Boston.



I did more training, preparing, and worrying before my first bicycle commute to work; come to that, I think his bike was loaded a little lighter than mine is for commuting, at least winter commuting.



I asked him what the letters on his fork meant, and he said it meant he had letters leftover after he labeled some other stuff. I guess I can relate, those pink polka-dots on my fenders meant I had a garage sale and leftover pricing dots.




*I prefer Bully! Porter to the Pale Ale, personally, but I figured the Pale Ale has a broader appeal. Nick turned out to be enough of a beer geek I could have safely gone with even the most adventurous of the Belgian-influenced Smokestack series beers.

No comments: