Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Moon Marble (I Know, Again)



Since I had my layoff day today, I got the girls extra early. When school let out for Mo, right before that I picked up Em. By then, I'd already had my annual follow-up with my Cardiologist (I'm to fuckin' young to have a cardiologist, but I have one because I had a heart attack when I was too fuckin' young to have a heart attack).



And the good doctor was so enthused that I'd started cycling, I ended up riding when I wouldn't have. But looking at my schedule, the next likely window of opportunity for a ride is Sunday evening, and just starting out I need to avoid six-day gaps if at all possible.



It was misting. I would have skipped the ride and said it was because it was raining, but it didn't really do the word 'raining' justice. It was cool, overcast, the ground was wet. Humidity had to be 100%, it wasn't really raining.



And anyway, if I'm ever going to live the dream of moving to Portland or Seattle, I better not be a pussy about riding in mist. And if I'm going to live long enough for one of those destinations to be a realistic possibility, I better get my ass in shape.



Plus, the MS ride, I think I'm going to attempt that, and if I'm going to get to being able to ride 170-185 miles in two days by September, I gotta get past the sore ass and raw thighs from ten measly miles stage.



I wanted Em to ride with me, and originally she said she would, but today she said she didn't want to. She said it's complicated, but it's embarrassing, just the thought of me being on a bike.



So I hit the trail. I'm told it's part of the trail that goes from Olathe to the Kansas River, but where I started at 75th & I-35 appears to be the Southern terminal of what I rode on. Not sure where you pick up the next Southern leg.



I rode North on the Streamway trail, which is about 3-1/2 miles, then cut over to the Waterfall trail, which I think was a half mile and back. Eight miles, the first half of it mostly downhill. I think I should have started the other way, but maybe it wouldn't have mattered. Not sure from the Waterfall Park where you go to pick up further trails going North, either. But eight miles was about all I was good for today anyway.



So after lunch, we headed to the Moon. No demonstration this time. He was doing them, but for field trips. We hung out and checked out all the bizarre merchandise. Talked to Bruce, learned about the Smokey Hill River Festival this weekend, but it's too expensive and too far away for me to really consider.



Then home for grilled pork chops, a visit to Celebration Park and the library. Not an entirely idyllic day, Mo was in time-out for kicking me and later in time-out plus lost computer privileges for putting her bra in the toilet. What's that saying? The days are long but the years are short?

No comments: