Search Lobsterland

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Flair



Em has gotten into buttons, which she insists are called 'flair.' I tried to explain this was strictly an Office Space definition, possibly ripped from the real life employee manual of T.G.I.Fridays, but she doesn't believe me.



Anyway, she wanted more flair for her bag/purse/thing. And I got out my old collection, almost all of which dates back to when I was a high school nerd attending science fiction conventions with my weirdest friends.



A lot of the custom ones are very obviously printed on a dot matrix printer. Some are hand-written by me at age 16 or 17. Many are embarrassingly pseudo-clever.



One that's not as old as that, Em wanted to know 'why her hair is like that?' I told her that, if she knew, she wouldn't want the button. And she took my word for it.







This flair was all in a plastic bin with some other evidence of how much of a geek I was back then. Actually, it probably paints me as worse than I was. There are gaming dice, but I only tried role-playing games (Gamma World) once. But I liked the idea of roll playing games (still do, or I probably wouldn't be playing Mafia Wars), so I'm probably as guilty as if I'd played a lot of D&D. Then there was the WWI cigarette lighter I enjoyed using to light flaming wands of death back then. The tobacco companies claim they don't want to hook kids, but only a kid would pretend they like cigarettes long enough to become dependent on them. And finally, a religious necklace I wore despite my atheism when I was the pagan bass in the St. Theodore's Russian Orthodox choir.

No comments: