Search Lobsterland

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Camper



Picked up Em from Camp Chippewa this afternoon, where she spent the week. The artist formerly known as Frau Lobster went there when she was a little honyock.

I was surprised going in and seeing the place how beautiful it really is. Almost made me wish my parents had sent me to camp. But my parents never went to camp themselves, so I don't think it ever crossed their minds.



The cabins aren't air-conditioned, though, so that cured me of that false nostalgia. There's probably a word that actually means nostalgia for something you never experienced, and if there's not there certainly should be.

I asked Em what she did all week and she struggled with an answer. 'Same old same old,' and 'I don't know.'



Then she talked to her Mom on the phone and told her extremely detailed stories about what she'd done at camp. Then at the musicale at Melissa's, she was telling some of my friends, in detail, what she did. I guess there's a blockage when it comes to explaining camp to a Dad who's never been a camper...

No comments: