Search Lobsterland

Friday, July 07, 2006

Surgery



Several years of dentistry kind of piled up on us. Mo will sort of sit for a cleaning, but the drill? Forget it. But when she developed an abscess, something had to be done.



So it was off to Children's Mercy for a general anesthetic, the only way anyone could figure she'd get through two extractions, plus some other drill & fill and the prophylactic treatments dentists have wished they could get done on her for years.



She wasn't too pleased with being there. She'd been bargaining, trying to suggest alternative activities, basically saying in her autistic way that she'd rather be picking butt hairs.

The stuff they gave her to make her sleepy before the gas must not taste too good, judging by her face. After the first dose, she told the nurse, 'Hello, boring.'

Then, after the second dose, she said, 'Boring, boring, boring.'



The gas was scented like bananas, so hopefully that made up for the yuck. She got to pick an aroma for it. I forget what other choices there were, but how come they don't do that for adults? Who says at 36 you shouldn't be able to get, say, beer scented anesthetic?



She did great, was still groggy when they discharged her and we wheeled her out. She's apparently back to normal already, asking to go swimming, eating like nothing happened, etc.

7 comments:

chumly said...

Love these stories. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh! That photo of sleepy Mo laying on the gurney looking up at you is so dear and precious. *sigh* I think children are angels.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting post as I would've never thought a sequence like that would take place. I didn't even know they did dental surgery at hospitals; I've only seen it inpatient. At least I think. Then again, I've never seen a tooth abscess.

Who's that nurse? yow!

Chixulub said...

Who's that nurse? yow!

I know what you mean. It seems my children get me introduced to an endless stream of devastatingly beautiful healthcare workers. As gorgeous as that nurse was, she's nothing compared to, say, the phlebotomist from last week's ER visit.

And then, I always feel like a creep if I notice them.

Not as creepy as the time at the GRASP class I was required to take, a class for people with children getting divorced. I looked around that room and thought, 'Look at all the newly single women.'

I almost asked for a phone number, just to say I did.

Anonymous said...

That's one of the good things about health care...lots of women. Now to find a single one that isn't saddled with a deadbeat.

j_ay said...

Scented drugs...hmmm. We never had that when I worked in Anesthesia, which may have been just as well...

Fancy Dirt said...

I love how you manage to rise back to the surface with your sense of humor still intact.