Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Non-Hippie

I am not a hippie. Why do people keep saying I am one? Just because I have over the shoulder hair, wear sandals to the office, think dope should be legal, that doesn't make me a hippie.

Or maybe it does. But I like guns, and don't even get me into the abortion debate.

Or maybe this makes me one.



Two thirds of the earth is covered with water, and my job is to put logos and ad copy ont he other third. Until they figure out how to print on water.

My specialty is custom dies. There's skills specific to tooling dies for custom shaped magnets and memo boards, and most of the time this is only moderately more interesting than the usual redrawing of logos, setting of type and whatnot.

I don't even really like the Grateful Dead's music that much. I don't dislike it, but the appeal, I think, is more the idea. The cultural institution, knowing that an alternative in life is to be a weird kind of modern gypsy, following the band.

And I remember, fondly, the Deadheads trying to shower in the car wash of the gas station I worked at umpteen years ago. The station was near a venue the Dead were hitting on yet another tour. I mean, I had to get them to take their shampoo and put their clothes on, but really, how pissed off can you get at mostly nekkid people?

So I now have a prototype of this memo board. A SYF skull write-on wipe-off. The outfit that handles marketing this junk still has to decide whether they'll actually buy a run of these and sell them. A board of directors or something. So mine may end up being one of only three or four ever made.

Something for the portfolio anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't be ashamed of your hippie-ness. It's okay... I'm nearly full blood hippie and I still manage to shower and shave my legs.

j_ay said...

Can't stand 'the dead'. Ack.