Search Lobsterland

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Liquor In the Front, Poker In the Rear


I'm doing the Relay for Life again, if you didn't get my semi-spam broadcast email begging for support.

If you didn't, you probably haven't sent me an email in the past year or so.

But yes, walking around in circles for the American Cancer Society again. Thanks to Jay and a couple of people who are still in the Cult, I've raised a bit of dough too. Pretty sure my family will come through with a bit as well.



But the relay works on a 'team' basis. I guess that's why they call it a relay: my employer has a team, Hannah Miller (a local teenager who has apparently had some luck with an investigational therapy after FDA approved chemo didn't save her life) has a team, lots of folks have teams.

Besides this meaning one person doesn't have to walk for twelve solid hours (though I did one year), it means pre-event fundraisers. Because broadcast emails only do so much.



I paid $15 to not play softball. It was a 'pay to play' donation, but I am humbled in front of my coworkers enough without attempting softball.

I paid $10 to play poker. I suck at Texas Hold 'Em, probably suck as hard as I do at softball, but I enjoy it anyway. Plus, no heavy perspiration.

I tease this one coworker about how timid she is when she plays. You'd think she was playing for money, not a trophy. I've made her fold more than once by betting $5.

But she's always still in after I bluff badly or otherwise get my ass kicked. She was even in the second table, when we condensed down after a lot of people did like me and got wiped out.

Can't bitch too much. Had fun, my once a year attempt at poker.



The only real glitch was, they have this trophy someone donates for the winner, then they have runner up prizes. The 2nd place prize this year was this watch, poker themed, a sort of pseudo pocket watch with a clip to go on your belt. Very cool. Everyone wanted to be second best.

The guy that won it all, great guy. Hired me for the best job ever about ten years ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is that Camelot clip going to play automatically every time I visit the front page?