Search Lobsterland

Friday, June 16, 2006

Acting! Genius! Thank You!



Em's been in Theater Camp this week, and tonight was the big event, the musical they've been working on six hours a day for five days.



Which is pretty intense, I suppose, for a bunch of ten to twelve year old (I think that was the age range) kiddos.

It was a Cinderella musical, and like every parent who's kid did not have a lead role, I'm convinced the theater camp is run by boobs who wouldn't know real talent if it kicked them in the balls.



That, and the kids with the leading roles were such hams, apparently immune to the stage fright Em is prone to. I think, though, Em has stage fright a lot the way I do. With me, I get weak in the knees, my bowels turn to water, but it focuses me, and I end up doing better than I ever could if I wasn't so certain I was about to die.

I remember in high school, a couple of times I heard recordings of the jazz band performing, where I had solos, and I'd be like, why can't I blow like that in my room or jamming with friends? Or even in rehearsal with the band?

Because my fellow bandmembers didn't terrify me, or didn't terrrify me enough anyway, for me to get sharp.



And Em did great. I love seeing the concentration on her face when she's trying to make sure she's in place, or doing the moves for a dance bit. It's a joyful sort of concentration.

Mo gets big kudos for sitting relatively still and quietly with me and her Grandma Mary. I also got to see my ex-in-laws (whatever you call them, they're still family to me). Mo got a brownie (the payoff, I think, in her mind for sitting through Sissy's performance), and got to see some friends from school.



And Grandpa D remembered to bring flowers for the star. Opening night, you know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, muh-gah. That is too stinkin' cute. I've never seen their mother, but I think Em looks a whole lot like you. A million kudos for being such an involved parent. Those girls are really lucky.

j_ay said...

Excellent. I knew Em had it in her seeing all the times she hams it up in the photos. The makings of a star...