Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Life Lessons: Transportation

My car is falling apart. Not an expression, literal duct tape failures.

And I usually hate new cars. Across the board, I look around the parking lot and think, 'what a bunch of shit. Who borrows money for a lame Pontiac?'

But for once, there's a new car I love. The Scion xB. If I was given the opportunity to design an econo-box, I'd do something very similar.

My ex hates them, but how is that not a selling point?

But I can't afford it. It's very reasonable as new cars go, but too much. The girls liked it on the test drive, probably not least because the AC worked. But this is where they get to see that Dad loves the car, wants it, but isn't going to sign up for five or six years of hardship to pay userers not to tow it off...

6 comments:

Chixulub said...

The Element is nice, but even more out of reach price-wise. And not as boxy. I like those ugly little Scions...

Anonymous said...

Don't really dig on the boxy cars. Then again, I think of a car as strictly for conveyance.

SuburbanMom said...

Your kids look happy and safe in it...I say get it :)

Chixulub said...

I thought they are about the same price?

Well, the xB I test drove was 14-something as driven, and had all the options I'd go for. The Element starts at 17-something. That may be 'about the same price' in the industry, but it's a big difference to me. I don't see what I'd gain for the extra three to five grand.

What I like about the Scion and the element is you can hose them out and it doesnt hurt anything. Thats a big plus when you have kids.

Unless it's that: the Scion I drove had fabric seats. Carpet too, I think. Fabric is more comfortable, and I generally prefer it to leather or vinyl seats, but I could see the value of a car you can hose out.

SuburbanMom said...

Dude.

Did you get the car???

;)

Chixulub said...

Dude.

Did you get the car???


Can I borrow $15,000 from ya? Without the interest the bank wants?