Search Lobsterland

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Why Indeed

Who does this thing with the shoes? What does it mean? And are they thrown up by people who are disposing of their own shoes, or is the idea to mug someone else and steal their shoes, using the power line as a sort of permanent 'keep-away' game?

My kids don't know either, so there goes the logical first sleuth.

But why does anyone do anything?

My brother is a pretty hardcore Xtian, though one who is willing to admit doubts, questions and even anger related to God. He believes enough to trust this God character, which is either more or less faith than I can muster.

I hear people excuse addictions and odd behaviors as 'whatever it takes to get through it.' Through what, exactly?

My bro's faith is cornered in part on the 'why believe anything at all?' thing. For the uninitiated, this is the idea that you believe in God because the alternative is too horrible. Or that a population believing the alternative would be too horrible.

Horrible for what? Why DO anything at all?

I can cite all kinds of intelligent reasons I do my job, support my family even when it's not quite a family as I understood it, but it's all bullshit. If I quit doing that, there are things that would follow as consequences, but what would it mean?

Nothing, same as everything else...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was real big in the 60's....it signifies leaving, escaping...you see that someone "got out". Never take your dirty old shoes with you to a better place.

j_ay said...

Nothing! I agree.
And can you please stop capitalizing “gawd”?

Chixulub said...

>>And can you please stop capitalizing “gawd”?>>

Uh, I don't capitalize God out of awe, just so people know I mean the proper noun Judeo-Xtian one. I use lower case when talking about, say, the thunder god. But I captialize 'Thor.'

>>Can I borrow that picture and post it on my site as my attempt to express my rebellion from the opressive society that I find myself in?>>

Well, that photo was taken by me, so I guess that makes me the copyright holder. And I take intellectual property rights seriously. So go for it.