Search Lobsterland

Friday, February 24, 2006

I'm Gonna Shoot That Guy...Let's Have Some Pie!


Social situations are a dilemna. They stress Mo out even while she seems to have fun. The risk of damage by her tends to stress out adults who might be held responsible for irreparable damage to a grandfather clock ro a purple grape juice stain in an heirloom quilt.

But the alternative is to be a shut-in. Fuck that noise.

So I took the girls to a get-together for a B'Hai holiday. Something about how they have a different weird calendar than the Gregorian one. A pie party, according to the invite.

I was in transit to this affair when I happened to think a pie party might mean one where everyone is expected to bring a pie. Fortunately, that wasn't the expectation. Melissa had made a ton of them. Grasshopper, chocolate-orange, Key lime cheesecake, etc. It was enough pie to put a platoon of Klingon Space Marines into diabetic comas.

Mo did really well with it, all things considered. And Em had a blast with her defacto cousin and the herd of vague relations and friends her age.

My host asked me how I was doing. He knows about the divorce but not in detail. His wife is also a friend of the artist formerly known as Frau Lobster, so it's a little tricky. Fortunately (or not), he and his wife have each been through the divorce mill a couple of times.

If there's anything we can do...

That phrase: I've said it, but if anything there's generally relief when no ideas are forthcoming. I've heard it and it always reminds me of the times when I said it. So I told the truth, 'A few grand wouldn't hurt.' But then there's that 'can' word: he asked about things they 'can' do, not about things they'd do if they had god-like powers.

1 comment:

j_ay said...

Yeah, the „can“ thing certainly gets in the way. I’d love to be able to help you (and others) out with some dough but I’m not a Nebraska (?) ham packer, unfortunately.
But nice Pie party, David Lynch would be pleased.