Search Lobsterland

Sunday, February 26, 2006

The Adequate Mall

On our junket of the Adequate Mall today, we did some ice cream. I'm trying not to think about the fact that I'm breaking the final $20 bill I have in cash-on-hand, but Mo asks for ice cream every weekend, and I keep forgetting to get some. Oreos I remember, even if I don't lay them in fast enough to suit her.

I was the one that decided to look in Java Jive. I was mostly interested in Rosterie coffee, a local outfit. The owner came and talked at the breakfast of last weekend's homebrew competition, and he seemed pleasantly surprised at how much beer snobs have in common with coffee snobs.

He had made a 5 gallon urn of coffee for the deal and it was gone by the Q&A time. Of course, these are homebrewers who don't think 30 gallons of beer is a lot to have in the house. I think we probably, on the whole, pass the 2.2 cup average before most people have thought how glad they are not to be in the Army.

There I go again, ripping on Army recruiting ads from the early 1980s.

Not to mention the 'coffee generation.' That was the 'got milk' campaign that wasn't.

Anyway, my brother is a coffee fanatic. He's the awake version of my beer fascination, and besides that has some balance to his life. He roasts his own beans, and as soon as gourmet restaurants went espresso he had to have French Press, when they went with the presses he went to some wonky carafe. I suppose he has his next coffee-brewing device scouted out for when $50/plate restaurants catch on to the funky carafe. When it does.

The divorce has me questioning all kinds of stuff I hadn't before. But even before I was cast into this niche, I wondered who supports some of these stores.

Yes, it would be nice to decorate the house without thinking like a rodent. Or a bear with found furniture.

Still, I confess a weakness for this Southwestern stuff. But between that and the ice cream and the Monkey...and all the other stuff I did with apparently deadly drive-Em-nuts accuracy, I guess I wore her out.

1 comment:

j_ay said...

It looks like Em sees that you can kill 2 birds with one stone: Oreo ice-cream.

That fish-thing in the background is cool looking.

And what Monkey?