Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Dolly Doctor Bill


Okay, one of Em's numerous grandparents bought her this American Girl doll a couple years back. It's one of those things that's desirable simply for being ridiculously expensive.

And not long after, Mo showed us how well that vinyl skin absorbs even water based markers.



So when Em went to the American Girl place in Chicago, she took Felicity for a head replacement. I met two men just this evening who would be well served by a visit to a doll hospital to get new plastic heads. Of course, they probably think I could use a replacement unit, but unlike them, I'm right.

So then Em has been waiting and waiting for Felicity to come back from the American Girl Hospital. Even trying to get her friends down the street to intercept the package if they saw it on my doorstep so Felicity wouldn't be abandoned to the fates between the time the UPS driver drop kicked her onto the porch and the time I got home.

Then the doll hospital called to say they couldn't figure why she was in for limb reattachment. Her limbs were fine.



No, head replacement, I explained. They explained that was another $15.95 more than what had been paid. So I paid it.

And here's the big pay off: $4.27 worth of plastic, 93¢ worth of toy hospital gown, $49 of marketing and one happy, happy kiddo.

3 comments:

kimmyk said...

Abbie has a few of the those dolls-they are sweet. But yeah, very pricey indeed!!

I'm glad that Em got her baby back...in one piece.

SumoSkank said...

I used to get the american girl catalogs.
I would look for hours at all the little details.
If your girls have american girl dolls, they're doing pretty well for themselves.

Chixulub said...

Well, Em has a couple of them but not because I shelled out for them. A certain Grandma is the source...