Search Lobsterland

Sunday, December 09, 2012

On the Welcome Mat

We went to Welcome Mat's annual banquet on Friday, and when they asked all the judo kids to stand up, I nudged Mo and told her to stand. The room started clapping and she got this super lit up smile going.



We've tried her in sports before, but none took. Dance class, she just wanted to check herself out in the mirror, wouldn't follow along, and I think the loud music overwhelmed her.



Way back, Special Olympics track, she was easily the fastest runner in the class, but she wouldn't wait for the starting gun and she wouldn't run on the track, she'd just run to the sand pits for the long jump and start playing.



Special Olympics bowling was, if anything, more of a non-starter than the track & field.



But the first time Corinna threw her, Mo got a big grin on her face.



She likes putting on the gi, and when she does her break-falls and slaps the mat, she accents it with a loud vocal 'hooray!'



We got there early and got out the crash pad and did some extra throws and falls. Which helped me, too, because falling down on purpose is new to me and being Mo's para for judo class means I kind of have to take judo, too.

I'm plenty sore, and an eight year old threw me tonight. I'm pretty sure they don't get too many 43 year old beginners who never in their life tried a contact sport.

No comments: