Search Lobsterland

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Ghost of Christmas Actual



Of course I got a lump of coal in my stocking. How could it be otherwise? I'll never learn.



Actually, the part where I never learn is buying those Accoutrements branded novelty items: the corn dog mints that turn out not to taste like corn dogs at all, they're just mints. Supposedly Wasabi lip balm that doesn't have any wasabi in it at all, just wax.



No, I didn't expect my lump of coal to be actual coal, but I hoped it was licorice candy at least. That's usually the deal. But no, it's bubble gum flavored bubblegum, just black. Gross.



Maybe I'll have to behave better so I can buy myself something I'd like and put it in my stocking.



After we did Christmas morning at our house, we headed to my Dad's in the afternoon.



I have a lot of nieces and nephews. According to the decibel meter, I think it's around 308 of them.



Dad's house on Christmas Day is loud like a Flogging Molly concert mixed with a political convention and a prison riot.



It should stress me out, but I actually enjoy it. My brother used to wear earplugs to these events (might still, I'm not sure). But he has his own pint-sized horseman of the apocalypse these days, so maybe he just got used to it.



I made egg nog. From scratch. I've been experimenting of late, and I discovered that you can't just use cream. It ends up being too thick, even if you dose it liberally with booze (I do).



But put an egg in a bowl with maybe a cup of cream and a cup of whole milk, grind some fresh nutmeg, put in a dash of cinnamon, a pinch of ground cloves.



Oh, and then the brandy and/or rum. For Christmas I went with a combination, two parts Christian Brothers brandy and one part Captain Morgan spiced rum.



I heard a rumor that my egg nog might be on the strong side, but I don't believe it for a second.







No comments: