Search Lobsterland

Saturday, May 03, 2008

Wonderscope

While Em was sleepovering and auditioning, Mo was asking for Wondercope. And it'd been awhile.
But Mo was flitting about. She didn't want to stay in one room for more than a couple minutes. I couldn't tell if she was looking for something that was there last time but had been changed/removed, or what.

I wondered, was she fixing to have a seizure?



Not every time she's behaved like this has she had a seizure. But most of the time she's seized, in retrospect she had been unable to focus, vaguely anxious, quick-moving, and up in the night (we had a heart to heart about sleeping all night at 2:15 am, again at 4:00, and even with chemically assisted sleep she was up at a quarter of six and wired for sound.

The manic nature of the 'awake,' too, that seemed a sign.

It wasn't until after we went home and had dinner that Mo went and put herself on the counch and covered her face with a pillow. I asked her if she was ready for night meds and PJs: it was early but only by a half hour or so.

'No,' she said.




When I took her shoes off and asked her did she want a foot rub, she said, 'Blanket.'

I asked if that meant she was ready for bed, and she said, 'Couch blanket.'

On a hunch, I asked, 'Do you feel like you're going to have a seizure?'

This is a kid who's default setting is 'No,' mind you. I can offer her, for instance, a cupcake and she'll say, 'No!—Yes!' As if catching her self, going ' No, wait, I do want that!'

But when I asked if she felt a seizure coming, she said, clear as a bell, 'Yes.'



Which sucks on one level, because we should be able to find a medicine and dosage that renders seizures a thing you count in instances per decade instead of per month, but on the other hand, if she can start telling us when she needs to get to someplace safe because it's coming like-it-or-not, that would be a giant leap.

I got night meds in her and PJs on her and tucked her in. Dunno if a seizure was eminent for sure or not. I know I've checked on her a couple times and she's breathing the breath of the soundly sleeping.

No comments: