Search Lobsterland

Saturday, May 03, 2008

Eat Steak



I so rarely eat steak...

I bought a box of strips from a door-to-door salesman. And had the sense to freeze two of the five instead of cooking enough for me and Mo to gorge to our hearts' content.



Not that I need to eat like this often, but I should do this on more than an annual basis.



For sides, besides fresh green onions and broccoli, I baked some golden taters and did a sauteed portobella mushroom sauce except I didn't.



I was improvising, got some diced onion going in olive oil, added the 'bellas and a good bit of garlic. Then added a splash of cider vinegar, a tablespoon or so of sugar, salt and pepper, a splash of chicken broth and let it reduce.



It didn't taste bad, but it didn't belong on a steak. I put the mushroom concoction in the fridge in case I figure out what it would go with (or what to add to make it work). Maybe it can be the beginning of a casserole or something.



I knew Em liked a medium rare steak, but I couldn't recall whether Mo went for it. Since steak knives aren't something I can let Mo have (she de-bowels her stuffed animals and shreds her clothes with them), I cut her steak up. She proceeded to sit down to the table and inhale the steak. She ignored her potatoes and veggies until it was clear no more meat was coming. These were in the neighborhood of ten ounces, so it's not like she'd be going hungry.

She sat there for a few minutes eyeing Em's plate and then mine. I could almost see her thinking, 'You gonna eat that?'

No comments: