Search Lobsterland

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Hatful of Hollow



This is the third post about this rocket, but it's the first since the rocket gained a name. You can tell from the title of the blog post, I'm listening to The Smiths and having a heavy 80s flashback.

I peeled up the masking from the fillet step before everything was fully set. Some of the edges of the fillets crystalized a a bit, but I didn't want to epoxy the masking tape to the fins like it was fiberglass cloth.

Since I'd over-sanded the fins to bare wood at the tips, I decided to go ahead and try a layer of finishing resin to seal the wood and smooth the transition from the fillet rim to the fin surface.



I used Z-Poxy for this step: it's sold in Hobby Haven as a fiberglass-oriented epoxy. It's more expensive than Dev-Con and smells like a can of rotten tuna with a yeast infection, but it finishes very smooth.

To make the finish even more minimal, I cut it with a splash of 91% isopropyl alcohol. This will cut whatever strength the resin brings to the table substantially, but it should also reduce the amount of sanding I need to do to get a smooth surface.



No comments: