Search Lobsterland

Thursday, May 08, 2008

Mothers Day



I couldn't share this with you yet, except my mother does not own, refuses to own, a computer.

She's not ignorant of them: she worked with them several years before reaching the Retirement square on the game of Life.



Even a friend, several years her senior, who has succumbed to this modern age, is no influence.

As usual, I made a card. It's not out of being cheap, I spent $10 for the stock photo I used, and I could have easily bought three or four Hallmarks for that kind of dough. But even when I can find an image for less, I'd rather give a couple-three hours of my time and creativity than give something off the shelf.



A lot of the time I put in is usually spent trying to find the words. Not that I'm normally short of words, but I'm not really a big Flowery Sentiment type. There's lots of canned verse sites online, but when I read these verses and think about putting them in a card I've made, I usually throw up in my mouth.

My default reaction is to reach for funny, but funny can be hard. Embarrassing, even.



This is what I came up with this year. Mom's a big quilter, and I found this iStock image and decided to run with it. I found a Mark Twain quote for the front of the card.

I did a vellum overlay for the 'Happy Mother's Day' interior (repeating the quilt photo over the interior). I may not go for flowery verses, but this is about as fru-fru a card as I've come up with to date.



I made three, actually. One for Mom, one for my step-mother, one for my daughters to give to the Artist Formerly Known as Frau Lobster. I know, it seems like a bit of re-gifting, since the quilting thing was really inspired by my own mother, but with two and a half hours into this one, I didn't really think I could pull off two more from scratch. And it's not like those Hallmark cards aren't inspired by someone else's mother, too.

No comments: