Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Stuff-Mart is Open

Tragedy has struck my community.

When we bought this house (nine years ago), we looked at houses in some other towns in the area, and one of the selling points for Gardner was the lack of a Wal-Mart. I buy stuff from Wal-Mart all the time, economics force my hand a bit. But I dislike the place. It's pursuit of the least common denominator can be depressing.

Also, how come they have this job of 'greeter' that is given to visibly useless folks, then try to automate the checkout to eliminate a relatively useful person? I tried the self-check once, and it was horrible. First a accidentally double-scan an item, have to wait for the cashier to come clear that up, then it wants to verify I'm over 14 because I'm buying rocket motors. After the cashier verifies that I was born before 1992. Three times the goober had to come over and tell the cash register what to do. Then, the alarms went off when I got to the door because I had forgotten to demagnetize an item, something the regular cashier probably does like breathing.

It's all good and well to automate simple things. But despite apearances, ringing up items for a store that carries thousands of things, selling to people who will pay with a variety of methods is not that easily automated.

Still, we needed a few things. And we were curious (would there bee freebies or a moonwalk or whatever), and I might as well accept that Wal-Mart is Borg and I will be assimilated.

Plus, I figured everyone else in town would be there, so it was a social thing. Everyone was, too, including my Ex and her betrothed, my Youth Fiend's Grandma, kids my kids go to school with, etc.



Oh, and this Chely Wright chick. I'd never heard of her, and had thought (on reading the sign) it was pronounced 'Sheely.' But my Youth Fiend's Grandma asked me if I got a good picture of 'Shelley' and I connected the phonetics with the only person I'd taken a picture of.



Well, and I did take a pic of the incredible line of guys waiting to meet her. She's pretty, but I don't think she was giving out phone numbers.

1 comment:

Fancy Dirt said...

I should know this because I live in "country music star county", but I don't. I assumed it was Ch- as in chili, and ely- as in belly.