Search Lobsterland

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Another Bad Idea

I've wanted a Dremel tool for ages. Ever since I first heard about them. They're frightfully useful, and for some reason, I always assumed they were expensive.

It's not that I don't own tools. I have a drill, a circular saw. Even a chainsaw (talk about a good party: a case of beer and a chainsaw is about all you need for a good weekend).

In my mind, a Dremel was probably an $80 or $100 device before you bought attachments for it.

I thought I'd price one at WalMart when we were there to buy groceries. Dremels started at $20. For $40 you could get a cordless one that came with quite a few attachments.

So I bought one. And the total for the groceries and the Dremel was about $80—what the groceries alone seem to total at Price Chopper. Makes it hard for me to hate the WalMart properly.



So anyway, I also have these huge calluses on my heels from wearing sandals all summer. And into the fall. Today, for instance, even though it was definitely jacket weather, I had my piggy-toes wild and free.

I’ve sanded my heels with 150 grit sandpaper on a block. And with nail files, and so on. So I thought, hey, I’ve got this Dremel with sanding attachments...

It's kind of like casual sex and tax abatements: it's good in theory, but don't.

At 20,000 RPMs, you generate a lot of heat in a hurry. By the time you say, ‘Fuck that’s hot,’ it’s too late. The callous builds up heat in all those dead cells. After you notice that your heel is smoking and stop, your heel gets hotter for about two minutes while you hop around the bedroom saying ‘OhmygodwhywasIbornsodumb’ over and over.

I know, you probably say I should have known that before, but I didn’t. I only share it in case you're as dim as me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ROFL - ouchie!

Hope it's getting better now!

kimmyk said...

LMAOOO!

You're not right. lmao. I'm crackin up here. I can not believe you did that.

Oh I hope you're able to walk by now.

Anonymous said...

My mom has one of those thingers, I'm not sure what brand, but when I went home I thought I invented shaving the callouses down with it. Apparently not. Anyway, it worked just fine. I had none of the 'OhmygodwhywasIbornsodumb' ouch effects you had. I thought it worked quite well. I'll ask her the brand. I was going to get one for precisely that purpose.