Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Wampeters, Foma & Granfalloons


I swear I didn't suggest this to my kids. They just started doing it, putting their feet together, sole-to-sole. I hope this doesn't mean one of the days Mo gets up at 1:00 a.m. for the day, that she'll stumble on the recipe for Ice-9.

When they build subdivisions, huge tracts of nearly identical 'custom' homes, the street names are always sucky. Types of trees, the developer's grandaughters' names (I almost bought a house at 175th and Jennifer a few years ago). Why not name the streets out of Vonnegut coinages? I'd buy a house on Wampeter almost without regard for the house, just to have a cool address. Or you could do a Yoknapatawpha subdivision (NOT called 'Yoknapatawpha Heights'—blech!) with Sartoris-derivatives.

Why not be at least as hip as a guy naming a band or a bar? I wish I'd snatched the flyer that caught my eye a dozen years ago, advertising Boko-Maru (a local band) playing at The Grand Falloon (a now defunct night club)...

2 comments:

j_ay said...

Yeah, I've always wanted a cool street name...but *always* miss the mark by LONG shots.

Fancy Dirt said...

I grabbed a flyer for The Stiff Kittens, years ago when the punk bands were playing lots of the clubs.
I probably still have it somewhere. The name just hit my funny bone.

I wish I hadn't resisted the urge to collect the flyers for all the bands. I wanted them all, from the Ramones to Siouxsie and the Banshees, because I liked the art. It didn't want to be fine art it wanted to be F'art.