Search Lobsterland

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Holy Un-photogenic Snow Globes!


(L-R Mug, Chixulub, Mo (and rhino), Frau Lobster, Em)


Irony of ironies, the one friend I have who's anywhere near purely atheistic as I used to be sent a Christmas card. My family has not (second or third year in a row) gotten around to sending cards, so if you didn't get one it's not that you're on the outs with us. We just never seem to get around to it.

So anyway, under seperate cover, came a care package of Xmas gifts, and being as he's an ex-pat living in Switzerland, the gifts were Swiss. Aside from limited edition chocolates about too decadent to believe, and assorted toys, clippings, swiss flags on toothpicks and so on, he sent my kiddos snow globes.

Little did he know. Frau Lobster collects snow globes, and the girls were tickled with theirs, now in the display case with the others. I took them out to photograph them for this blog, and guess what? Snow globes are trickier to photograph than I imagined. Here's the best shot I got:



I wish it was obvious from the picture, but it's not. They're adorable dogs, dalmations and St. Bernards. I tried to photograph some of Frau Lobster's other snow globes but got similar results. Got a better pic of me and the girls:


(L-R Tigger, Mo, Chixulub & Em)

Being Americans, we ate too much, watched football (Chiefs won, still in the hunt for a wild-card, need to beat Cincinnati next week—no mean feat—and need Pittsburgh or Jacksonville to lose a game), opened presents, ate some more.

You don't hear enough about the positives of being the child of divorced parents. This was my Mom's house, and we have Frau Lobster's folks to visit tomorrow and then my Dad's. Divorce and remarriage allows extended families of indulgent grandparents in numbers not even theoretically possible in the days when marriage was taken as a serious and more or less permanent arrangement. Plus, as an adolescent, I benefited from divide-and-conquer strategies where the 'divide' part was already taken care of. Especially when slipping parental supervision, divorced parents are way easier.

Anyway, on to our Christmas Eve tradition of decorating the vanilla cookies Frau Lobster has made for Santa.

And one more pick: honest, I'm not sleeping in this shot, I'm opening a present. I don't know if I blinked or if it was just the downward cast of my eyes, but really, I'm alert and moving.



And no, I'm not as old as I look in this picture. I'm certain of that.

Happy Christmas!

1 comment:

j_ay said...

Irony of ironies, the one friend I have who's anywhere near purely atheistic as I used to be sent a Christmas card.

I have no problem with the word “christmas”, and I think Those With An Agenda’s biggest screw-up is giving more merit to it (the name) than it deserves.
With time “christmas”, a completely made up “holiday/birthday” to try to show the Pagans (those heathens) that the Christ-ians can also steal their Winter Solstice, has been usurped by Frosty and Santa and Elves.
Sometimes the best defeat (so to speak) is quiet and slow.
But Agenda will always get in the way.

Anyway, there probably was no such thing as sending out “weihnacht” cards, and “christmas” is a world-wide term (synonymous with “merchandising”), so some of the cards get both/just MC/whatever.

I just like that style of card (which sadly seems to have stopped, as I couldn’t find any of that series in all the shops I checked; so you got one I had stashed away from last year).

Great photos! Frau L doing a rare appearance…