Search Lobsterland

Friday, December 23, 2005

Free Time? WTF?

I didn't work Thanksgiving Day. The weekend before, I had two days off from my 'day job' spent in marathon sessions on a freelance project that extended into evenings following ten and twelve hour days.

One week, when I thought I'd worked 60 hours, I ran the report and found I'd passed 70.

But my analog for tax season is winding down, including this afternoon. Typically, where I work, Xmas Eve is a half day, but since it falls on a Sunday, people just assumed it worked the same way even when we were backed up like crazy. My boss even sent out an e-mail saying that if you werent' already scheduled off (as many were) you should expect to work a full day. Then he lightened up and the place emptied like an anthrax envelope opened up.

Since I'm not sure what day prior to Thanksgiving I did 'not' work, I don't mind. I don't go to the office again until Tuesday, when I'll try to do all the work I would have done in the three days I had off. What's scary is what to do when I don't have to be at the office tomorrow. Or a couple of days after that.

What the hell do I do? No redrawing of logos? No setting of type? I'm supposed to just 'be' with my family? Have you met them????

In other news, my Swiss Friend sent me and the Swiss Family Lobsters a gift package of embarrassing proportions. And a card. On the heels of a flat that included everything from comic books to weather reports.

Still, what am I to do? I'm near out of Swiss Xmas stories, and the Dutch version traumatized Em (former Bishop of Turkey, dresses like the Pope, skinny, lives in Spain, might beat you with a switch, sack you up for Spain or leave gifts). I told her my personal Easter Bunny Theory, involving an 85 pound rabit with opposable digits for egg-handling and she said I was going to give her nightmares.

No comments: