Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

The rest of the rebirthday thing and more...

No, I didn't get the life insurance policy. I've had two independents who sell policies from hundreds of companies scour for liberal medical underwriting, but heart attack at 32 is more than a red flag for insurers. Ironically, for almost anyone, a first heart attack is a surprise. You can rationalize away all those symptoms, ignore your high cholesterol, borderline blood pressure, etc. If you're young, you may not even know about some of those things.

So now I take more drugs than Abbie Hoffman, Zetia, Crestor, Niaspan, Atenelol, in addition to fish oil and so on. For about six months after the attack I was compulsive about going to the gym. I got to where I could go for an hour on the eliptical with it almost maxed out on resistance and tilt, hit the weights and then swim laps for half an hour, only to feel energized and refreshed.

I've backslid a lot on that. I'm easily a hundred pounds overweight and have lost that conditioning. Need to get back into that.

I'd also gone nearly vegan for months prior to the attack (in a vain attempt to avoid taking statins). It turned out not to be a regime I could stick to long term. I'm not great with moderation. I have on and off switches for pretty much everything.

In Other News

We got to take a trip to the ER this evening. Mo had a full blown six minute seizure, the first she's had in a couple of years. Absence seizures are more the norm with her.

I'd write more about that but my ass is kicked.

1 comment:

Mitchelina said...

you and Frau Lobster are my heroes. Love you both.