Search Lobsterland

Sunday, June 12, 2005

My GoLive trial so far...

And I mean trial in the sense of the Kafka story. Someone traduced me...
For serious, aside from losing a week's coding experimentation to a flood that was not caused by Adobe or even by Bill Gates, learning my way around GoLive has been far to much work. A WYSIWYG editor is supposed to make life simpler, and instead I've learned enough CSS code I could have done this in EditPlus.
I'm willing to consider that I haven't learned certain virtues of GoLive, and I've never used DreamWeaver, so I don't have a basis for comparison when it comes to web editors.
This is the look I've been trying to create:

And if you click on the link, you'll see the mess I'm trying to replace.
That line of highly stylized buttons down the left side, those are all image-mapped in Illustrator, where I created them. I've not been able, thus far, to find the Northwest Passage that allows me to get that image from Illustrator to GoLive with the image map info.
I've tried to move content to appropriate places, and get a consistent look that's more readable, accessible, etc. Basically to try and get people to stay more than the five seconds statcounter tells me is most people's tolerance limit for Lobster Land.
This isn't to mention my initial ambition of making the 2.0 version my blog to boot. WordPress is supported by DreamHost, but trying to get it to work involves learning a lot more than I had the patience to wade through. Maybe if it wasn't so damned simple to keep letting blogger do the work...
Even my considerably scaled back ambitions have turned out to be pretty damned involved. Illustrator, being part of the 'Creative Suite' should be compatible with GoLive. I'm trying to evaluate, after all, whether to upgrade to CS2 standard (no GoLive, just updated versions of the programs I already own), or CS2 premium, which includes GoLive and a PDF tool that's supposed to make its own gravy.
So here I am, back in ImageReady, re-mapping what I've already mapped so that I can get this damned thing up.
I even tried adding a 'beta' folder to my domain and copying what I'd don so far there, and it didn't work. If I spend weeks coding a new Midwest Rock Lobster website and end up with nothing for the world to ignore, I'll be one pissed off crustacean.

No comments: