Search Lobsterland

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Damn!

I just found a couple more books that fall under the 'flood damage' flag. Including an interlibary loan of a book I'm reasonably sure is out of print.

The first person I talked to said she couldn't see the library charging for water damage, but the much senior employee standing by her when I brougth the books back, I'm already into it for $200 or so, and after the others I've found, probably $250 or more.

I can't pay my phone or internet bills. Water/electric, hopefully with overdraft protection I'll keep from being shut off.

And this while I'd like to adopt a third daughter (fluke could make it a son) from China, which would mean raiding a retirement account already underfunded.

We'll see what dreams may come.

2 comments:

Mitchelina said...

Urg. I'm sorry about the money stuff. I feel your pain.

And what's up with the local library calling down the man to collect library fines?? That is so hard core. I thought it was just WYCO but obviously they've all started doing it. Heck I almost got turned over for $10 and I am very generous with my library fines and usually mostly on time with payment.

They'd spend more money collecting some of these things then they'd actually make. Bastages.

lizmo said...

Nice piece. (Leave that alone...) Seriously, the blocked-writer-but-unblocked-editor in me says, send this thing to a magazine that prints essays/creative nonfiction whatnot in December (lead time!) and see what happens for next year.