Search Lobsterland

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Rep Theater Show



I was surprised by Em's Rep Theater show.



When I was in high school, the rep theater show in the spring was almost like a high school produced episode of Saturday Night Live, maybe some incidental music but it was mostly skits.



This was a patriotic-themed show that involved as much choral production and jazz band as anything else.



That's not to say it's a bad thing, it's just not what I featured in my head when Em was talking about it in advance.



A high point for me: Em singing solo, God Bless America. When I had her in piano lessons back in first grade, she was too freaked by stage fright to perform a recital in a living room filled mainly with her own family members. Even as she's embraced choir and theater in high school, she doesn't exactly have a big case of the Look At Me's. She didn't sound nervous, though, she sang solidly and expressively.



I also really liked the Nobody Loves the Ump, featuring an umpire with blackout shades and a cane.



I do wish I could find a trick or two to get better on-stage pics. It's not my D7000's fault, I'm sure, that faces wash out and have tragic shadows and all that. This is one area where my fancy-dancy DSLR doesn't really produce much better results, often, than what I used to get from a Canon Powershot. Either way, I get lots of terrible photos, a few mediocre ones and every once in a blue moon something I really like, just by fluke.

No comments: