Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Outgrowing the Stone



I've been making a pizza dough recipe that uses 1-1/3 cups of flour, a half cup of water, a teaspoon each of sugar and bread machine yeast, and a half teaspoon of salt.



It also uses a 15 minute kneading cycle in my antique KitchenAid with the paddle (no dough hook was made for my model, it's really that old).




I'm getting better at stretching it thin without tearing it, I didn't tear either crust tonight, but I did get them so big they barely fit on my pizza stone (which is almost too big for my oven.



I think instead of 1-1/3 cups of flour, I'll dry dividing this up so that more like 3/4 of a cup of flour make the foundation of a pizza. It'll help with my other dilemma which is always what to put on the things. Em loves black olives with prosciutto and an Alfredo sauce. Mo loves pepperoni, or plain cheese. I love lots of things, including bacon, fig, Gorgonzola & caramelized onions.



So if I split it up into more numerous but smaller pizzas, I could accommodate more combinations of toppings.




Tonight I made Em's fave and my own was a caramelized onion (with fenugreek & thyme) and sautéed baby bellas, with mozzarella and anchovies. Not quite the bacon, fig & gorgonzola monster, but a very tasty pie.




No comments: