Search Lobsterland

Monday, February 22, 2010

Crowd Noise With Occasional Music



Em had a big choir concert tonight, the two middle schools and the elite 'Madrigals' of the high school choir combining for a celebration of music in school.

There were hand chimes, too, though Em gave up ringing because the rehearsals interfered with her pre-Broadway career and cheerleading.



As my kids get older, the caliber of choral concert improves. Seventh and Eighth Grade boys should still be barred from vocal music class until they get over being afraid of someone catching them singing the actual notes, but still, it's getting better.



What's not getting better is the audience. This is well worn territory in this blog, I know, but for the record it is not okay to bring screaming infants into a concert. Or cell phones. It is also not okay to discuss everything as it happens like the assholes sitting behind me did the whole time. I kept looking forward to the big ensemble numbers, when it's all the choirs together in hopes that then the chowderheads behind me would be drowned out.

It was mostly true, though even with the crappy mic on my camera, I can hear a baby wail at one point in the video.




Bringing a cell phone or a baby into a concert is like bringing a gun or a bomb on an airplane. The difference is we don't have Audience Marshalls to taser these jerks into submission and set an example.



You know I love to talk, but even I shut up for movies and concerts. If I can do it, anyone can.

Untitled from Chixulub on Vimeo.



Oh, and as a postscript: I know some people who spend an absolute fortune on private school for their kids. Some of them live in the KCMO school district where the public schools are institutionalized reckless endangerment, but some are just afraid their kids will be secularized by the public schools. Wonder what the local ACLU would make of these kids having their rights violated so blatantly: some of them even seem happy to be singing patently religious (read Christian) music in a public school auditorium. ;)

No comments: