Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Who Let This Hippie In?

This is me and my boss' boss' boss. Nine years ago, he lived a block away, when I'd worked for him only a year and he was still on his first marriage. And when the company did 1/3 as much revenue on 1/2 as many employees.



In my first couple years, there were a few employees who made their ten year anniversaries. The company would cater in a meal, and Tom gave them plaques.

One of them will hit 19 years next month. Another is going on 18. This in a company approaching twenty in absolute terms. It graduated from Tom's kitchen in 1987.

The banquet today celebrated my ten years, but two others as well. Me and Steve were two thirds of the first night shift graphics department the company ever had. We're both on days now, but still.

Every once in a great while I get to compare notes with someone who works where else I could ply my trade. The metro area is fifth in the nation for print, so there are lots of prepress departments a production artist like me could punch the clock, but when I hear what is in those other pastures, they don't sound greener. TradeNet expects a lot, but the pay and benefits is above par too. Do a lot to get a lot, nothing wrong with that.

When I was on nights, I advanced to shift supervisor. It looked like a good job, one I'd be good at. Until I was doing it. I bitched up everything in sight, and when it came to a head I was sure I was going to get fired. But I was so stressed out and clueless, I thought mainly about what I could do witht he severence package.

But I wasn't fired. I could go elsewhere and see if my leadership skills magically transformed, or I could take back the gig I was good at, redrawing logos and setting type. Without taking a pay cut.

I can't think of another company I'd get that kind of offer from after illustrating the Peter Principle so thoroughly. Even harder to imagine, another company where I'd take that offer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that's the best picture of you I've seen to date. :)