Search Lobsterland

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Ink

I've wanted a tattoo since I was a tiny kid. But I kept saying I didn't know what to get.

I've been using this buckaroo lobster logo for over 15 years, and I've been in Lobster Land since 7th grade. If anything fits the bill for a tattoo design, this is it.



My friend Roj drew it, but I didn't include his signature on my arm. I did have it mirrored, because it needs to face forward and I wanted him on my left arm. I could have done it on the right arm, but the tattooist I went to flipped it to show me what it would look like. He was so fast and accurate in his copy work, all the fears I had that it wouldn't look right went completely away. Of course, he makes his living at this. Do anything every day for years and competency almost comes by default.

Plus, I didn't know this before, but they make a template, and transfer it to your arm first. That way size and placement is tweaked before the permanent stuff happens.

The pain was, well, it was pain. I don't like pain, or needles, and there's a perverse sort of Zen to sitting there, relaxing despite the pain, not only hurting but knowing that it's a totally voluntary hurt.



But for comparison, my neck hurts more right now for no reason I can figure.

I took a picture while he had a smoke after the black was inked in. They say that's the worst part, and they're not kidding. The color is so painless I wondered if he was doing it right.

Then, when I went to pay, I handed the guy's wife a credit card. She looked at me like it was a loaded gun, and said, 'Can you get cash? It's cash only.'

Even Girl Scouts selling cookies take cards, right? So I went to an ATM and came back with the dough. I wondered, how often do they deal with less than honest customers who would simply vanish at that point. It's not like the guy could track me down and un-ink my arm.

But he never asked me to work for free, so I wouldn't expect him to.

So now I get to practice a new Zen. The one of keeping it out of the sun, yet out of contact with clothes, but preferably not bandaged, for two weeks. Oh, and don't scratch it or pick the scab. Damnit. What's the use of a scab if you can't pick it?

8 comments:

j_ay said...

Hmmm, getting weepy about vacuum cleaners (well, that I can understand), bottle rockets, retroed music (or “music”), demolitions derbies, motorsickles and now partaking in the silliest trend to come along…

Methinks me smell a ‘midlife crisis’...

Speaking of retro, gotta favourite Raisinette? Might as well name it now, cuz that’s what yer ‘tat’ is gonna look like when yer an old geezer.
Ray Charles music not included.

(just teasing...)

Get to work on the gawdamn novel...

Anonymous said...

Mad props are in order. I heart tattoos, and I don't care what they'll look like when I'm 80.

Nils Wärmegård said...

That is a very nice tattoo!
I wish i could get a nice motive on a tattoo, i am just waioting for the right tattoo to find me, i´ve been thinking about the tiger in the end of my blog, it has a great and long backstory... But unfortunaly the tiger is also the logo for esso and the local hockeyteam of my former hometown...

j_ay said...

Just as Autumn always comes quicker than we’d like (for those living in parts of the world that have seasonal changes), if you think tattoos degrade at a slow pace of 60 years (possibly wrongly assuming you are, what, 20 years old?) than you probably “heart” things and use terms like “mad props”.
You wanna be ‘original’: simply silk-screen the image you desperately-can’t-part-with-for-the-rest-of-your-life and print it on a t-shirt. Then wear the t-shirt every day.
Nifty.

Chixulub said...

Good grief, Jay. That's fucking harsh.

I have this friend, he's kind of a precocious curmudgeon. I have a lot in common with him, though I don't throw in with his misanthropic notions.

I have another friend, she's kind of a twenty-something hippie chick. Cute, too. If I was Ted (her husband), I wouldn't let her far from the bedroom.

Are Zurich and Olathe far enough apart for these two? Maybe not. It's only 4900 miles, we might need to get closer to the 12,500 theoretical maximum.

Anonymous said...

Quoting Jay: "...if you think tattoos degrade at a slow pace of 60 years (possibly wrongly assuming you are, what, 20 years old?) than you probably 'heart' things and use terms like 'mad props'."

Some things to ponder:

1) Age is a number. Think twice before you make assumptions based on how long a person has been on this rock.

2) I'd say it's a direct insult to Rod to insult his 20-something hippie friend on his blog comment space.

3) At least I know the difference between "than" and "then".

4) And finally... since Rod knows me, he also knows that terms like "heart" and "mad props" are so ridiculously ironic to be coming from my mouth that it's actually pretty fucking funny.

So, dear mudslinger with nothing positive to say, toddle off and get a life.

Chixulub said...

In fairness to Jay, I don't think any of us who, even reluctantly, participate in the blogosphere have a life.

Are you guys going to keep fighting in my comments? Do I have to seperate you two?

j_ay said...

Some things to ponder:

You’re not offering much, but we’ll break it down in loo (sic) of my not having such a grand “life” as yours…

1) Age is a number. Think twice before you make assumptions based on how long a person has been on this rock.

Indeed it’s a number, one often vaguely-correctly calculated by actions, not necessarily by physicalness or the simple reading of a birth certificate.
No thinking twice is necessary 1) I said I may be off 2) your next ‘thing to ponder’ reveals I was pretty right.

2) I'd say it's a direct insult to Rod to insult his 20-something hippie friend on his blog comment space.

Note my comment was written before Herr Lobster stated you were 20-something or one of those dreaded hippies.
If you’re insulted this probably leans a bit more toward being insecure with the pap you wrote and/or the life you lead, more than my handing you some logic and/or your ass.

3) At least I know the difference between "than" and "then".

You sure about that?
My apologies for a typo. All in all, not a major difference. Stephen King has probably published such and error. And he’s got 3 editors.

4) And finally... since Rod knows me, he also knows that terms like "heart" and "mad props" are so ridiculously ironic to be coming from my mouth that it's actually pretty fucking funny.

Again, I’m sorry. I thought your post was made in public and not a private email to only Rod.
But no, not in any way is it even somewhat funny, let alone PFF.

So, dear mudslinger with nothing positive to say, toddle off and get a life.

Again (ah, déjà vu), if you feel dirty this is your own fault. But it sure wears better than a tattoo.

“get a life” comments. Wow, can you be more of a pretty fucking funny cliché?

But just to appease you, cuz, you know; you’re special, I’ll take off. Rod seems to have collected some blog-esque virtual friends so doesn’t need me around these parts no more. Hence I can retire from blog-stuff, which is surely one of the signs of Where We’re At in the world, and it aint pretty.