Search Lobsterland

Monday, August 21, 2006

Car Art



I want to live in an architectural folly. Tiny houses, castles, houseboats, I love weird homes, but circumstances dictate a raised ranch in the burbs for now.



And if I'm going to drive an old, unreliable, un-air-conditioned car, it should show some flair at least. Some individuality. An '88 LeSabre falls short in that category.



Hell, I'd settle for being able to take the key out of the ignition. But meanwhile, my folk art fetish reasserts itself. I was going to do this with an old truck I owned, and at the time I was married, so it mattered that AFKFL hated the idea. She wasn't mean about it like one of her friends was. Her friend seemed to think it was on par with an I'm With Stupid tattoo. Still, in the interest of marital harmony, I only bought the glue, I didn't go through with it.



It was more fun at the time to put it on my personal scoreboard: We each had one, a list of shit that we wanted to do or be or try or whatever, but that we couldn't because of the other person. It was childish, destructive and ultimately useless, but we did it. Big time.

Would it have been better if I'd just gone and glued a coffee mug to my roof? I don't know, but I can't imagine it'd have been worse.

It's not a wholly original idea. Chuck Palahniuk profiles a fellow Portlander who has covered three cars with shit. Mobile folk art libraries. I think one was covered entirely with door knobs. One has a scale model of the Golden Gate Bridge as a sort of Stegasoris spine.

The guy started out with a coffee mug. So it's unoriginal, especially since I don't regularly drink coffee.

2 comments:

Fancy Dirt said...

A cat might look good up there, too. Naa, on second thought, it would clash with the coffee cup.

kimmyk said...

did you glue that there???

when it rains then you can say your cup runeth over.