Search Lobsterland

Friday, July 15, 2005

Not a poll as such...

My friend J suggested that I make this blog more dial-up friendly, but I'm not sure. I was going to put a poll in, and even found copy-and-paste code that would work except I couldn't see how I'd harvest the data. I guess if you're on dial-up, like to read my blog and get pissed at how long it takes to load the page, e-mail me. I'll think about it at least. I remember the dial-up days, it sucked. If I didn't have legit business reasons for high-speed, I'd still be listening to that damned phone modem and avoiding sites like this...

I'm launching back into the rewrites of my novel tomorrow. Well, that's the plan. If my daughter has more seizures, well, my kids are more important than my silly novel.



I used this 'M' on a business card for a while, but no one got it. I'm not that old. Okay, I'm old enough that dating an Olsen twin would be creepy, but I'm not old enough to date Farah Fawcett with a straight face. Not that I'm in the dating game, I won my prize.

But no one seems to remember typewriters anymore. I mean, maybe in some DMV or other Kafkaesque setting, there's probably a Selectric in use, but the ball on those doesn't even look quite like a traditional typewriter key.

I loved typewriters. Except for the lack of spell-check, web surfing and e-mail capabilities, they rocked. But at least I remember what they looked like. Even what they smelled like.

But then, I'm a dinosaur, I know. No matter that my wife is roughly the same age as Nicole Kidman, that I'm roughly the age of Jennifer Aniston, and younger than the other 'Friends' girls by a couple of years or so. I still have a turntable, for LPs. Yeah, those vinyl discs the record industry swindled you into throwing out in favor of CDs.

But tomorrow I toe the line and get serious about 'Wealth Effects' again. It's been a month since I tormented my brother with pages. I haven't been as active in the online workshops as I should be, but I feel worse that I promised Todd I'd read him more from my ms and haven't.

Todd's a good audience because after the accident he doesn't vocalize much, so if he objects to something I've written, I have to take it to heart. And just reading shit aloud without knowing if he understands or not, I can hear what sucks in my writing.

But to have more pages to read to him, I have to do more rewriting/editing. There's just no point in reading third-draft shit, I already know how bad that stuff sucks.

No comments: