Search Lobsterland

Monday, March 14, 2016

Right Under My Nose





I'm into graffiti, so I'm kinda embarrassed that it took me so long to notice this building. It's like a hundred feet from Westport Road on Central and I pass within that hundred feet or so of it three to five times a week on my way home from work. Pretty much the whole building is wrapped, and it's wrapped by quality writers including Roast and Scribe.





For the uninitiated, Scribe is like a poet laureate of taggers, if there was a Nobel Prize for graffiti or a Pulitzer for tags, he'd win it. And really he's more a muralist than a tagger, he doesn't just stylize a word until you can't read it, he creates fantastic characters and tells elaborate stories with his pieces.















I don't mean that praise of Scribe to demean the other writers I'm sharing here. I wouldn't bother taking the picture, let alone blogging it, if I didn't consider it art worth preserving and sharing. These things are fleeting, even legit walls get painted over and knocked down too soon. They get vandalized by wannabe kids, or by people paid by the city to deface them. But they're beautiful, and they add flavor to a neighborhood, a little hot sauce for your alley, your boarded up (or sometimes fully occupied and commercially vibrant) building.



















No comments: